The Morris Museum’s Studio Art program empowers students to expand their relationship with the arts through taking risks, asking questions, and dynamic hands-on learning. With a variety of class offerings and a community prepared to foster creative growth, everyone has the capacity to explore their interests in a variety of mediums at any skill level. Receive a discount on classes when you become a Member!
NOTE: Extra precautions for safety have been implemented for all classes due to Covid-19 concerns. If you are ill, please do not come to class, and discuss options with instructor.
SPRING COURSE LIST
ACRYLIC PAINTING TECHNIQUES WITH FRANCESCA PELAGGI
Tuesdays, 1:30PM- 3:00PM
6 Weeks: July 19, 2022 – August 23, 2022
Enjoy learning how to use acrylics and its quick drying advantages to create beautiful works of art that have depth and luminosity. Learn easy techniques of acrylic painting for both the beginner and experienced artist. Students will be able to choose their own subject matter from a live still life arrangement set up in the studio or paint from a photo; landscape, animal/pet, florals, etc. Fundamental elements of form, light and shadow, blocking in of color, value, composition, etc. will be covered. Learn to work wet in wet as well as with glazing techniques to build up a finished painting. Beginner students are welcome to have supplies provided for them by the instructor to “try before you buy” for a small additional fee. Ask the Art Coordinator about this option when paying for the class. All levels are welcome!
$165 Members / $180 Non-members
PASTEL PAINTING TECHNIQUES WITH FRANCESCA PELAGGI
6 Weeks: July 19, 2022 – August 23, 2022
Pastel is an exciting medium with seductive color yielding relatively quick results. Artists will learn techniques for handling and layering pastels to achieve soft blended transitions of color, to heavier textures. Students will be able to choose their own subject matter; live still life arrangement set up in the studio or paint from a photo of your favorite landscape, pet/animal, floral, etc. Fundamentals of light and shadow, form, value, composition and atmosphere will be integrated into each project to improve current skills. Demonstrations will be given as well as individual attention to all students. Beginner students are welcome to have supplies provided for them by the instructor to “try before you buy” for a small additional fee. Ask the Art Coordinator about this option when paying for the class. All levels are welcome!
$165 Members / $180 Non-members
There are no studio art classes for children at this time. For art classes for kids, see our newly created program, Artful Afternoons, where each week is inspired by an exhibition at the museum or the world outside our walls
STUDIO ART DEPARTMENT POLICIES
ADULT CLASSES: Please fill out the form by clicking the button below.
Once you have registered, the Arts Coordinator will reach out to you with further information about seat availability and payment options.
- To ensure a seat, and that classes will not be canceled due to low enrollment, registrations should be received no later than 1 week prior to the course start date. After that time, prospective registrants must call the Studio Art Coordinator at 973.971.3700 EXT 3729 at least 24 hours beforehand to check availability.
- Morris Museum reserves the right to cancel any class before the start date. If for any reason a course is canceled, all registrants will be notified about a week prior to the start of the course.
If you have questions about classes or registration, please contact: Phone: 973.971.3700 EXT 3729 ask for Arts Coordinator, Kailyn Cavaluzzo Email: [email protected]
Children’s classes are paid online at time of registration through the link in the class description. If a different payment method is required, please contact the Arts Coordinator at [email protected] or 973.971.3700 EXT 3729.
- Payment must be received PRIOR to the start of the course date to confirm your registration unless special arrangements with the Studio Coordinator have been made.
- Prorating is not available.
- Select classes will have an additional supply fee to be paid to the instructor upon arriving at the first class.
- If you wish to cancel your registration, the Studio Coordinator must be notified at least 1 week prior to the start date. Payments on cancellations after that date will not be refunded, and will still be required.
- Check made payable to Morris Museum 6 Normandy Heights Road Morristown, NJ 07960 Attn: Studio Art
- Credit Card (Visa, Amex, Discover, MasterCard)
- Gift Certificate
- Gift certificates are available in any denomination and can be applied to a course of the recipient’s choosing.
- Gift certificates expire 12 months after the purchase date.
- Classes that are canceled due to holidays, instructor absence, inclement weather or other circumstances will be made up at the end of the quarter and coordinated by the instructor.
- Students who miss class on their own accountability, will not be issued a refund unless special arrangements have been made with the Studio Coordinator in advance.
- Please visit morrismuseum.org or call the front desk at 973.971.3700 by 8:00 AM and throughout the day for delayed openings and closing announcements due to inclement weather.
- The Morris Museum is not responsible for artwork or property left on the premises, and has no liability if a property is lost, stolen, or damaged, with the exception of displayed exhibitions.
- If an item has been left behind, please call the front desk at 973.971.3700. Students are also welcome to check the Museum’s Lost & Found area, located in the entrance pavilion.
- Any artwork left at the museum at the end of the quarter will be discarded.
- The Museum does not have available space for artwork and personal supplies to be stored during the quarter, therefore, students are responsible for transporting their materials to and from class.
Monday-Tuesday: Closed (select courses run on Monday and Tuesday mornings and afternoons)
*The Museum is open at 11:00am for Members only on the first Tuesday of each month.
- Students may arrive up to 10 minutes prior to the course start time to set-up. If a class is being held on a Monday/Tuesday, students are asked to travel directly to and from the designated classroom as the museum is otherwise closed.
- All students must check in and out at the front desk upon arriving and leaving.
- Due to other scheduled events, students must leave the classroom immediately after class.
- Class location may change throughout the course duration.
- Students are responsible for set up and clean up of their materials unless special arrangements have been made between the instructor and Arts Coordinator.
- For Adult Classes, borrowed supplies are limited to easels, clipboards, rulers, paint brushes, and water cups. If materials outside of those listed are needed, please alert your instructor to call the Arts Coordinator at 973.971.3700 EXT 3729. Please be aware, that not all requested items may be available, therefore, students are advised to bring all necessary materials with them to and from class.
- Guardians must accompany students in and out of the building for drop-off and pick up.
- Instructors will accompany students to the entrance pavilion for pickup. Guardians are to arrive 5-10 minutes prior to the course’s scheduled end time.
- The guardian must alert the instructor and Studio Coordinator in advance for early pick-ups or if the child is being picked up by someone other than the drop-off guardian.