The Morris Museum offers studio art programs for all to enjoy!
- Year-round classes for all ages
- New classes offered every season in a variety of mediums
- All skill levels welcome
- Receive a discount on classes when you become a Member
- Learn a new skill or further develop your craft
- Meet new people who share your love for art
- Week-long summer classes for children and teens
- Experience new techniques from professional teaching artists
- Create take-home pieces each week
- Participate in student exhibitions throughout the Museum
NOTE: Extra precautions for safety have been implemented for all classes due to Covid-19 concerns. If you are ill, please do not come to class, and discuss options with instructor.
We want to hear from YOU! Filling out our brief online survey allows us the opportunity to learn more about your interest in studio art and the types of classes you’d love to see offered!
FALL COURSE LIST
ACRYLIC PAINTING TECHNIQUES WITH FRANCESCA PELAGGI
September – November – Dates TBD
Enjoy learning how to use acrylics and its quick drying advantages to create beautiful works of art that have depth and luminosity. Learn easy techniques of acrylic painting for both the beginner and experienced artist. Students will be able to choose their own subject matter from a live still life arrangement set up in the studio or paint from a photo; landscape, animal/pet, florals, etc. Fundamental elements of form, light and shadow, blocking in of color, value, composition, etc. will be covered. Learn to work wet in wet as well as with glazing techniques to build up a finished painting. All levels are welcome!
$240 Members / $255 Non-members
PASTEL PAINTING TECHNIQUES WITH FRANCESCA PELAGGI
September – November – TBD
Pastel is an exciting medium with seductive color yielding relatively quick results. Artists will learn techniques for handling and layering pastels to achieve soft blended transitions of color, to heavier textures. Students will be able to choose their own subject matter; live still life arrangement set up in the studio or paint from a photo of your favorite landscape, pet/animal, floral, etc. Fundamentals of light and shadow, form, value, composition and atmosphere will be integrated into each project to improve current skills. Demonstrations will be given as well as individual attention to all students. All levels are welcome!
$240 Members / $255 Non-members
BOTANICAL DRAWING WORKSHOPS with Heidi Sandecki
Drawing Gourds and Pumpkins – ONE DAY WORKSHOP
Saturday October 16, 2021
Decorative gourds and pumpkins offer a chance to celebrate the harvest, while capturing their wonderful colors and textures. Bring any type of decorative gourd, pumpkin, or squash to draw from.
We will use a combination of regular colored pencils with watercolor colored pencils to learn the basics of, proportion, form, tone, and value. Techniques for color matching, and blending to create subtle color variations will also be covered. Open to all levels, with plenty of guidance and step-by-step demonstrations. Join us for some creative time as we record the bounty of this year’s harvest!
no classes at this time
Advance registration is required for all studio art programs:
Phone: 973.971.3700 EXT 3710
Email: [email protected]
*Registration forms can also be found and turned in at the Museum front desk, or mailed, with payment
STUDIO ART DEPARTMENT POLICIES
- Current course offerings and registration forms can be found in print form at the Morris Museum’s front desk and online at morrismuseum.org/studio-art
- To ensure a seat, and that classes will not be canceled due to low enrollment, registrations should be received no later than 1 week prior to the course start date. After that time, prospective registrants must call the Studio Art Coordinator at 973.971.3710 at least 24 hours beforehand to check availability.
- Morris Museum reserves the right to cancel any class before the start date. If for any reason a course is canceled, all registrants will be notified about a week prior to the start of the course.
- Payment must be received PRIOR to the start of the course date to confirm your registration unless special arrangements with the Studio Coordinator have been made.
- Prorating is not available.
- Select classes will have an additional supply fee to be paid to the instructor upon arriving at the first class.
- If you wish to cancel your registration, the Studio Coordinator must be notified at least 1 week prior to the start date. Payments on cancellations after that date will not be refunded, and will still be required.
- Check made payable to Morris Museum 6 Normandy Heights Road Morristown, NJ 07960 Attn: Studio Art
- Credit Card (Visa, Amex, Discover, MasterCard)
- Gift Certificate
- Gift certificates are available in any denomination and can be applied to a course of the recipient’s choosing.
- Gift certificates expire 12 months after the purchase date.
- Classes that are canceled due to holidays, instructor absence, inclement weather or other circumstances will be made up at the end of the quarter and coordinated by the instructor.
- Students who miss class on their own accountability, will not be issued a refund unless special arrangements have been made with the Studio Coordinator in advance.
- Please visit morrismuseum.org or call the front desk at 973.971.3700 by 8:00 AM and throughout the day for delayed openings and closing announcements due to inclement weather.
- The Morris Museum is not responsible for artwork or property left on the premises, and has no liability if a property is lost, stolen, or damaged, with the exception of displayed exhibitions.
- If an item has been left behind, please call the front desk at 973.971.3700. Students are also welcome to check the Museum’s Lost & Found area, located in the entrance pavilion.
- Any artwork left at the museum at the end of the quarter will be discarded.
- The Museum does not have available space for artwork and personal supplies to be stored during the quarter, therefore, students are responsible for transporting their materials to and from class.
Monday: Closed (select courses run on Monday mornings and afternoons)
*The Museum is open at 11:00am for Members only on the first Tuesday of each month.
- Students may arrive up to 15 minutes prior to the course start time to set-up.
- All students must check in and out at the front desk upon arriving and leaving.
- Due to other scheduled events, students must leave the classroom immediately after class.
- Class location may change throughout the course duration.
- Students are responsible for set up and clean up of their materials unless special arrangements have been made between the instructor and Studio Coordinator.
- Borrowed supplies are limited to easels, clipboards, rulers, paint brushes, and water cups. If materials outside of those listed are needed, please alert your instructor to call the Studio Coordinator at 973.971.3710. Please be aware, that not all requested items may be available, therefore, students are advised to bring all necessary materials with them to and from class.
- Guardians must accompany students in and out of the building for drop-off and pick up.
- Instructors will accompany students to the entrance pavilion for pickup. Guardians are to arrive 5-10 minutes prior to the course’s scheduled end time.
- The guardian must alert the instructor and Studio Coordinator in advance for early pick-ups or if the child is being picked up by someone other than the drop-off guardian.
CALL FOR INSTRUCTORS
The Morris Museum is seeking to expand its studio art program and is currently accepting proposals from qualified instructors of diverse mediums to teach future courses for children, teens, and adults.
Proposals should include:
CV and cover letter
3-5 examples of work
Type of medium/class you would like to teach
Times of year you are available/course availability (morning, afternoon, weekend, weekdays)
A brief description of any previous course(s): days/week, length of course(s), how many students, etc.
Age group(s) you would like to teach
Facility requirements, if any (example: kiln)
Examples of student work, if applicable
Link to website, if applicable
Please send proposal material as (1) PDF file to Kathy Francis at [email protected] with “Call for Instructors” in the subject line.